Midwives Group

Midwives Group

Midwives in the Highlands

Midwives in the Highlands

Monday, July 5, 2010

Reflection by Abby

Woke up at 2:45am on the Fourth of July to get ready to go home. I moved slowly as it was early and I was sad. My new-found family had left the day before and we did not have the best beginning of my last day (more on that later). However the ending was perfect with the five of us (Allison, Janett, Janet, Kristen and myself) sharing a great meal in an interesting restaurant with an even more interesting restaurateur.

On our last night together our team shared pizza on the rooftop of our hotel in Antigua Guatemala. We shared delights,highlights,what we have gained and what we were leaving behind. I was interpreting for my friend Gerardo (he was our driver on last years GHRC delegation). So I was not really able to process for myself. I was also very emotional and could not have gotten out two words with out breaking down.

I still have not completely processed of course but I was on the plane from Miami yesterday when the woman next to me started complaining about it taking too long and how she had just come from Turks & Caicos and she should have sat in first class. She then looked me in the eye and said, "but I don't want you to think I'm a snob".

Hmmm, those of you who know me well will be happy to know I just looked at her and said, "Maybe you should have (sat in first class that is)".

I did not know how to respond in a constructive way. I was at a LOSS for words. Imagine that.

Anyhow, I have thought about the highlights and delights. One of the highlights was by far being able to trudge up the mountain every day for three days in the rain, mud and cold weather to get to the trainings and upon reaching the training site and saying sakarik nan (hello!). They were excited to see us, and so grateful. During our sharing time when the woman felt so moved to speak every single one of them said how happy and grateful (emocionada's) they were that we made it safely up the mountain. Even though we had to translate from Spanish to K'iche to English there was perfect understanding that we were there in solidarity.

Another delight was being able to get to know the women we traveled with from Virginia and all that they had to offer to the group. I think we all learned something from the K'iche and M'am women, I learned that while we speak different languages we may have similar experiences. These women feel joy, pain and happiness just like we do. They are grateful to be alive and appreciate mother earth for the sustenance she provides us all. I think that upon some more reflection and processing I will come up with a far greater list of what I am taking away than what I left behind.

Abby Dini

No comments:

Post a Comment